Re: Double Hits on First Ball Over

mikew@usinternet.com.nospam (Mike) writes:

> We had a ref last week (Mens 6 player) tell us that on the first ball
> over the net, no matter what, you can now double hit the ball.  I
> don't have the rules with me, but the main item that was removed was:
>
> 1997-98: double contact with no finger action as long as it is not
> thrown or carried

Hmm.  I think the finger action clause was last seen in 95-96?...but my
memory isn't so great.  Doubles with finger action have been legal in
USAV indoor 6's for several years now, at any rate.

> 1998-99: double contact as long as it is not thrown or carried
>
> His interpretation was that setting the ball on the first hit over was
> legal no matter how hard the ball is hit, or if the set is very bad.
>
> Is this the correct interpretation??? Thanks!!

That is correct.  The resulting play can look _very_ ugly, but as
someone reportedly said at USAV Nationals a few years ago "We don't
don't call ugly."

The applicable rule is included below.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."

1998-99 USA Volleyball Indoor Rules:
-----------------------------------
   14.4 Characteristics of the hit

   14.4.1  The ball may touch any part of the body.

   14.4.2 The ball must be hit, not caught or thrown.  It can rebound in
   any direction.

   14.4.3 The ball may touch various parts of the body, provided that the
   contacts take place simultaneously.  EXCEPTIONS:

           14.4.3.1 During blocking, consecutive contacts may occur by
           one or more blockers provided the contacts occur during one
           action.

           14.4.3.2 During the first hit of the team (not blocking), the
           ball may contact various parts of the body consecutively,
           provided that the contacts occur during one action.

                   14.4.3.2 Commentary The first hit of the team includes
                   reception: (a) of the serve; (b) of an attack hit
                   by the opponent [this may be a soft or hard
                   attack-hit]; (c) of a ball blocked by one's own
                   team and (d) of a ball blocked by the opponents.
                   During the team's first hit successive contacts
                   with various parts of the player's body are permitted
                   in a single action of playing the ball.  These
                   include contacts involving "finger-action" on the ball
                   and contact with the foot.  The ball, however,
                   may not be caught and/or thrown.