Contact below the waist

microx@erols.com writes:

> Is it legal for the ball to hit you below your waist? I was told that
> there was a new rule this year that it is legal for a ball to hit you
> below the waist(ie. like a kick save in hockey). If this is true can
> you
> tell me the exact wording of the rule and where to find it?

Welcome to rec.sport.volleyball!

This is a frequently asked question.  Please consult
http://www.volleyball.org/rsv_faq.html for answers to this and other
common questions.  Or, visit my refereeing web page listed below for
other rules-related items.

The answer is....it is legal under USA Volleyball and FIVB rule to hit
the ball with any part of your body.  The only exception is in outdoor
6-person competition in which you can't contact the ball with anything
below your knee.

1997 USAV indoor rules:
        14.4.1.  The ball may touch any part of the body.

1997 USAV outdoor rules
13.4.1 A player may touch the ball with any part of  the body.
        13.4.1.1 For Six-player competition only:  the ball may be
        touched with any part of the body on or above the knee.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."