Re: Two-handed overhand - illegal?

Pat Traynor <pat@ssih.com> writes:

> Rule question here...
>
> We play recreational outdoor games (C- level).  There is a
> particular shot that we're pretty convinced is illegal, but we'd like to
> know for sure.
>
> The situation occurs when it's the third shot, but we weren't able to
> get it to a front row hitter.  Often, the shot is just "set" deep over
> the net to a vacant far corner.  The shot looks similar to the
> old-fashioned basketball "push shot" that was popular in the '50s.  As
> far as I know, this is a legal shot.

If you are playing 4's or 6's, it's legal as long as the ball is not
caught, carried, thrown, or double contacted.

  1997-98 USA Volleyball indoor rules

  14.4 Characteristics of the hit

  14.4.1  The ball may touch any part of the body.

  14.4.2 The ball must be hit, not caught or thrown.  It can rebound in
  any direction.

  14.4.3 The ball may touch various parts of the body, provided that the
  contacts take place simultaneously.  EXCEPTIONS:

          14.4.3.1 During blocking, consecutive contacts may occur by
          one or more blockers provided the contacts occur during one
          action.

          14.4.3.2 During the first hit of the team (not blocking), the
          ball may contact various parts of the body consecutively,
          provided that the contacts occur during one action.

                  14.4.3.2 Commentary The first hit of the team includes
                  reception: (a) of the serve; (b) of an attack hit
                  by the opponent [this may be a soft or hard
                  attack-hit]; (c) of a ball blocked by one's own
                  team and (d) of a ball blocked by the opponents.
                  During the team's first hit successive contacts
                  with various parts of the player's body are permitted
                  in a single action of playing the ball.  These
                  include contacts involving "finger-action" on the ball
                  and contact with the foot.  The ball, however,
                  may not be caught and/or thrown.

If you're playing outdoor 2's or 3's, there is an additional
restriction--any "sets" over the net must travel directly forward or
directly backward in relation to the player's body.

> But some of the lesser players will occasionally hit the ball with two
> hands overhand. Sort of a two-handed spike from the back row.  It looks
> ugly as hell and I have to assume that it's just flat out illegal.

This sounds rather illegal.  It's very difficult to do a 2-handed
spike without double contacting or throwing the ball.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."