Re: Two-handed overhand - illegal?

"Miguel A. Valle" <justdoit@Glue.umd.edu> writes:

> On 4 Sep 1997, Todd wrote:
> >

> > If you're playing outdoor 2's or 3's, there is an additional
> > restriction--any "sets" over the net must travel directly forward or
> > directly backward in relation to the player's body.
> >

> I might be wrong but I thought that if it is the third contact, you can
> set it over in whatever direction you like as long as you don't carry it
> or double it.
>
> Miguel

Miguel,
You are correct for indoor competition and outdoor 4's and 6's;
however, outdoor 2's and 3's are unique:

  USAV Outdoor Rule 13.4.5 (1996-97 sorry, the new one's at home)

  13.4.5 For Doubles and Triples Competition only:  If the ball is
  intentionally set into the opponent's court, the player must contact
  the ball with two hands above his/her shoulders and set it directly
  forward or directly backward with relation to his/her body.

For 1997-98, the wording regarding intent was removed and replaced
with verbiage covering wind conditions. The rule remains largely
unchanged in spirit, however--an intentional set over on the third
contact must travel directly forward or directly backward in relation
to the player's body.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."