FAQ Clean Up Items (was : Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ))

Tom,

Thanks again for bringing the FAQ up to speed.  There are only a few
loose ends that remain.  The first is minutia, while the others are
substantive.  Here they are in FAQ order:

B.1.  What size is the court?  An "i" sneaked into the units making
the court very very wide.

C.8  has part of a text line left over from an edit which leaves the
impression that the server has to serve from inside the court:

   C.8.What if I'm standing on the side-line at the time of service?
    At the instant the ball is contacted for service, all players,
    EXCEPT FOR THE SERVER, must be on or inside the court lines.
    THE SERVER, must be on or inside the court lines.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^delete me ^^^^^^^^^^
    Which means you can stand on (but not over) a side- or end-line
    during service.

D.1 and D.2 and D.3 need to be updated.  It's now legal to double
contact any first ball under USAV indoor rules.  The "finger action"
clause has been eliminated.  The clause still remains in USAV outdoor
rules and NAGWS (NCAA women's) rules.  D.5 has it right.

F.1 is misleading and the rule number reference needs to have an O for
outdoor.  This answer is misleading since all other FAQ answers are
from the "USAV indoor" perspective while this one is from the outdoor
perspective.  The block is a contact under USAV outdoor rules only for
2's and 3's.  Perhaps the supposition about which rules we're
discussing needs to be stated more precisely in A.10--USAV _indoor_
rules are assumed.

Having said that, I think there is room for a FAQ addition on rules
sets.  A mention that there are different rules for USAV indoor, USAV
beach, FIVB indoor, FIVB beach, AVP, NAGWS, NFHSA (Federation, HS),
CBVA, etc.....

Thanks again,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."