Re: Officials' Forum #19

wally-h@uiuc.edu (Wallace Hendricks) writes:

> 1.  You are officiating in a tournament.  You are off for this match.  You
> observe the R2 carry on a long conversation with the setter from one team
> prior to the match.  It is apparent that they are friends.
>
> b.  After the match, I meet with the R2 and suggest that this behavior
> needs to be curtailed.
> e.  It depends on who it is, I could do any of the above.

e. for me, depending on the relative experience of the official.
   Then, either b. or a.

As a Regional, I wouldn't go brashly into a pi##ing match on
professionalism with someone more experienced.  However, if it's a
newer referee, I would say something to them in whatever tactful way I
could invent.  If it were a more experienced official, I'd tend to
mentally file the episode, but nothing further.

> 2.  Same situation as #1.  This time, however, you observe that the R1 has
> made several incorrect calls on back row block and back row attack
> situations.  It is apparent that the problem is not judgment.  He simply
> does not know the rule interpretations.
>
> a.  I do nothing about it.  That is his/her business.
> b.  After the match, I meet with the R1 and suggest that we go over the
> rules on back row situations.
> c.  I report the incident to the supervisor of officials.
> d.  I only take action if I know that I am assigned to work with this
> individual later in the tournament.  I wait until that time to say
> something about the back row attack/block rules.
> e. It depends on who it is.  I could do any of the above.

b. or e. again.  If it's someone more experienced, I'd pose the issue
in the form of a question rather than coming down with a didactic
Foghorn Leghorn "I, I, I say, you've got this all wrong, boy"
approach.  If it's someone less experienced, I'd probably still use a
question to illuminate the oversight without accusing them of a rules
misinterpretation.

> 4.  If a player comes on the court with a bandage on one (or both) ears,
> what do you do?
> a.  I ask the player to remove the bandage.
> b.  I ask the player what is under the bandage.
> c.  I look very carefully to see if I can see anything under the bandage.
> d.  I ignore all bandages.

b. then perhaps a. if the answer is suspicious.
c. seems a bit silly.  d. is asking for a lawsuit.

If both ears are bandaged, I'd be extremely suspicious.  The odds of a
legitimate infection (and no earring) in both ears seem quite small.

If I were suspicious enough to administer the a) approach, I would
explain to the player that my concern was with the liability towards
their safety and that of the other players rather than tyrannical
enforcement of the rules.  That way, regardless of what is or is not
under the bandage, you've still preserved a bit of the player's
dignity in this ordeal.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."