Re: Balls

Adam S Chesler <achesler@umsis.miami.edu> writes:

> What is the major difference between indoor and outdoor balls?
>
>                                                  ---Adam

Outdoor balls are typically heavier and have raised, hand-stitched
seams, while indoor balls have smooth seams.  The additional weight of
the outdoor ball helps to counteract the effects of wind.  Both the
best outdoor and indoor balls are made of leather.

In practice, the air pressure of outdoor balls is much lower--
2.5-3.2psi versus 4.3-4.6psi for indoor balls.  This makes passing a
little easier outdoors.

For more outdoor/indoor rules differences, and for a list of outdoor
and indoor volleyballs that I personally like, you may wish to stop by
my web page:

        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."