Re: Ball Handling Question; 2 hits, first contact

"Jerod Stovern" <jstovern@platinum.com> writes:

> Rule Set:
>   USAV Rules used therefore double contact on first ball with finger action
> IS allowed.
>
> Situation:
>   During serve receive, the passer decides to take it overhand in a
>   setting motion but misjudges it a little.  Ball strikes the finger
>   tips and rebounds (for lack of an exact term) directly upward or
>   even up and backwards from the intended direction of the pass.
>   The ball is 'stabbed at' and definitely never comes to rest.  It
>   really doesn't roll for an extended period of time (at least no
>   more than if same situation occurred but the player was using
>   their fists together to play the ball) Just rolls somewhat off the
>   pads of the finger tips.  I'm sure you've all seen this or done
>   this before.
>
> Question:
>   Should a lift be called on the passer or is it simply an UGLY play?

Ugly, but legal.

This is legal, based on what I've heard at USAV clinics for the past
few years.  The "rolling off the fingertips" part is specifically
mentioned in a rules interpretation as an example of legal play, I
believe.

The rule of thumb is that is the ball is overcontrolled, it's probably
a lift.  If it's a lack of control (as in this case), it's probably
double contact.  Since double contact is legal on the first ball, play
continues.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."