Re: New (97-98) USAV outdoor doubles rule on oversets

Paul Bradford <bradford@ma.ultranet.com> writes:

> The preface "Significant Beach Volleyball Rules Changes" says
> that rule 13.4.5 was changed "to take intent out of the rule"
> and gives a description of the new rule which I can understand.
>
> But then when I actually read rule 13.4.5, it goes back to
> talking about "intent"!  If the word "intentionally" was removed
> from 13.4.5, then it would match what the preface says.
>
> I like the rule change, I just wish it was clearly and consistently
> stated.  This is bound to cause disagreements on the court.

Rules fans...here's what Paul's talking about (from page iv of the
1997-98 official united states beach volleyball rules):

        The change in Rule 13.4.5 is an attempt to take intent out of
        the Rule and judge legality only if there is sufficient wind
        to be a factor in the play.  For example, if the wind is
        blowing into the team's court and a legal set is sent over the
        net, then that would be judged a fault.  Conversely, if the
        wind is blowing in the same direction of the other team's set
        crosses over the net, it would not be judged a fault.

The change to the commentary does remove intent from the rule.  I
agree with you that the word "intentionally" no longer belongs in the
main body of the rule.

There have been boo-boos like this in the outdoor rules for years.  As
such, this may just be an oversight.  It seems the outdoor rules are
subjected to far less editorial scrutiny than the indoor rules.

I've updated my list of beach vs. indoor rules differences to reflect
the many significant changes made to this year's USAV beach rules:

        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/ref/ODRULDIF.HTM

And...for completeness sake, here are the actual rules:

Last year (1996-97) USAV outdoor:
13.4.5 For doubles and triples competition only:  if the ball is
       intentionally set into the opponent's court, the player must
       contact hte ball with two hands above his/her shoulders and set
       it directly forward or directly backward with relation to
       his/her body.
13.4.5 Commentary:  A legal set directed toward a teammate that
       unintentionally crosses the net is not a fault, regardless of
       the player's body position.  Intent shall be judged by the
       referee

This year (1997-98) USAV outdoor:
13.4.5 For doubles and triples competition only:  if the ball is
       intentionally set into the opponent's court, the player must
       contact hte ball with two hands above his/her shoulders and set
       it directly forward or directly backward with relation to
       his/her body.
13.4.5 Commentary:  A legal set directed toward a teammate that
       crosses the net because of elements is not a fault, regardless
       of the player's body position.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."