Re: overhand the serve?

Ron's statement "Ugly as it may be, it is used, and is legal" is not
accurate under all rulesets.

Mens Collegiate indoor (USAV indoor rules, I believe?), is quite
different than USAV beach, and AVP rules with respect to what you can
do on the first ball.  In USAV indoor, you can legally double contact
a first-ball set with finger action in a single attempt.  You cannot
legally double contact the ball using finger action under USAV beach
or AVP rules.

The "beach dig" scenario is different still.

See my USAV Beach/indoor rules differences page for a more thorough
treatment of this somewhat involved subject.
        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/ref/ODRULDIF.HTM

Also applicable (as this situation is an undocumented, yet FAQ)

  The hard-driven ball myth (was Re: service reception rule change)
        http://www.enteract.com/~tdh/vball/rsv-posts/msg00165.html

  First Ball Contact, double hits, ugly sets (was Re: rules question)
        http://www.enteract.com/~tdh/vball/rsv-posts/msg00166.html

  Beach Volleyball Rules Primer (USAV)
        http://www.aceitup.com/rules.html

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."