Re: Reverse Co-ed 4's - Men near the net

"Scott R. Hammon" <volleyball.guide@miningco.com> writes:
> Carl Anderson wrote:
> > Our outdoor reverse co-ed 4's league has broken into two schools of
> > thought about what male players can do on defense when they are near the
> > net.
> >
> > One side argues that if a male reaches higher than the net in defense of
> > an attack from the other side, it is an illegal block.
> >
> > The other side argues that this merely an attempt to play the ball, and
> > contacting the ball would count as the teams first contact. As long as
> > the ball either stays on the defenders own side, or is hit over with an
> > upward trajectory, no violation has occurred.
> >
> > Any thoughts on which side is right (USA Volleyball outdoor rules)?
>

> Rule 18.1 gives the definition of a block as the action of a player(s)
> close to the net to defect the ball coming from the opponent while
> reaching above the height of the net.
>
> Rule 18.4.6 For Reverse Mixed Competitions only:  Male players may not
> participate in a block.
>
> So, my thoughts are it was an illegal block.  Tell your guys to keep
> their hands below the net.  If they were truly acting in defense of an
> attack, then they can achieve the same results using a forearm pass or
> low over hand ravi style chuck and throw.
>
> Scott

As Scott cited from the current USAV Beach rules, there are blocking
restrictions for males in reverse-mixed competition.  To be complete,

18.4 Blocking Contact
18.4.4 For Doubles, Triples and Four-Player
Competition only: No restrictions exist as to which
players may participate in a block except in
Reverse Mixed competition [Rule 18.4.6].

18.4.4 For Doubles, Triples and Four-Player
Competition only: No restrictions exist as to which
players may participate in a block except in
Reverse Mixed competition [Rule 18.4.6].

18.4.6 For Reverse Mixed Competition only:
Male players may not participate in a block.

So while 4-person beach rules have no notion of positional faults
(only service order must be followed), reverse mixed-fours rules add
the caveat that prevents male players from attacking or blocking--due
to the unfair advantage they would have on a women's height net.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."