Want USAV rules on the web? You can help

The FIVB and AVP rules have been released and are available on the
web.  The USAV rules, however, are not.  It is my opinion as a USAV
player and referee that this situation is a bit embarassing and
counterproductive.  I fear that the business folks at VIP are worried
about losing sales in rule books when in fact a rules web site would
only increase demand for printed books.

To voice your opinions on this situation, you can contact the
publisher:

    Regina Sullivan
    Director of Projects and Programs
    Volleyball Informational Products
    1227 Lake Plaza Drive, Suite B
    Colorado Springs, CO  80906
    719-576-7777, x107, 719-576-7778 (fax)
    email:  rsulliva@avca.org
    http://www.avca.org

I sent the following letter via email yesterday.  I received a prompt
reply that stated the situation would be reviewed in the coming
months.

Now is the time to lobby for having USAV rules and interpretations
available on line.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."

From: Todd <tdh@vbref.org>
Subject: USAV Rule Book on the web??

To whom it may concern,

As a referee and frequent advocate of USA Volleyball rules on the
internet newsgroup rec.sport.volleyball, I am curious why USAV rules
and rules interpretations have not been released on the world wide web
as the FIVB and AVP have allowed.

	http://www.fivb.ch/
	http://www.volleyball.org/avp/rules.html

It's a little embarrassing as a USAV referee to see that the ruling
organization that I represent has not embraced this technology as an
opportunity to increase USAV's visibility as _the_ sanctioning body
for volleyball rules in the USA.  As often as I encourage people to
purchase a USA Volleyball rule book, it's sad that I cannot refer
people to the rules on-line.

I would hope that there isn't a myopic executive in the USAV or VIP
who thinks that publishing the rules for free would hurt rule book
sales, when in fact the publicity of such an electronic publication
would likely double the sales of the printed books.

If such a sales-decreasing "fear" exists, this fear is wrong-headed.
I find that an overwhelming percentage of volleyball players don't
even know where or how to get a rule book.  I'd bet that 90% don't
even know what USA Volleyball is, much less who publishes their rule
book.  Furthermore, there is an increasing number of players are
extremely literate of the Internet yet are still unaware how/where to
purchase a rule book.

Putting the rules on the web would help your business and help the
game of volleyball.  Depending on how the web site was set up, the
on-line rules could be a fine reference tool (including a search
engine, a separate web page for each major rule, perhaps advertisement
banners at the top for how to order your own copy of the printed
rules, maybe even on-line sales of said information products), yet
inconvenient for printing.  After all, who wants to lug around a stack
of individual 8.5x11" paper printouts with advertisements on it in
their volleyball bag?

No one has computers on the volleyball court, hence no one will _not_
buying your rule book just because you publish the rules for free on
the web.  However, by using a complete rules web site to market the
printed books, you will increase rule book sales, increase the
visibility of USA Volleyball, and help make players more literate of
the rules.  It's good for business.  It's good for the game.

I am interested in your feedback.  I would like to know the real
reason I cannot find the USA Volleyball rules and interpretations on
the net while every other major ruling body has made their rules
available.

Best Regards,
--
               Todd H   tdh@vbref.org