Re: Contact under net . . . (completely in own playing space)

David Rind <rind@enterprise.bidmc.harvard.edu> writes:

> Let me give a slightly different scenario, since this came up
> the other night:
>
> Attacking hitter comes down and lands on foot of opposing
> blocker/setter whose foot is crossing the centerline legally
> (some portion remains on the centerline).  The hitter does
> not immediately move his foot (which, for the sake of argument,
> is entirely on his own side of the court) and this interferes
> with the setters ability to move to the pass, since the hit
> was dug.  Is this interference?  (Again, for the sake of argument,
> assume it was not unsportsmanlike conduct in that the blocker
> did not immediately realize that he was on the setter's foot.)

This is a good twist on the question, David.  Thanks for bringing it
up.

I say the attacker's actions are legal, even if he did intentionally
stand on the blocker/setter's toes.  As long as the attacker is
completely in his playing space, I see no fault in the rules with
which you could charge him.

USAV Rule 16.5 "Player's Faults at the Net" calls out faults for
penetrating into the oppoent's space, but calls out no faults for
interfering with an opponent who has penetrated into your space.
(Outdoor rules differ on this--you can't intentionally interfere with
an opponent in your space, but you aren't obligated to get out of
their way either.)

I wouldn't mind a comment from a National ref to second the motion,
however....

Here are the applicable rules:
USAV 1997-98 indoor rule:
16.3 Penetration Under the Net
 16.3.1 A player may reach or penetrate into the opponent's court
 and/or space under the net, provided this does not interfere with the
 opponent's play.

 16.3.2 Penetration into the opponent's court, beyond the center line
 to:
  16.3.2.1 touch the oppoent's court with (a) hand(s), foot or feet is
  permitted, provided some part of the penetrating hands(s)/food/feet
  remains either in contact with or directly above the center line;

  16.3.2.1 contact the oppoent's court with any other part of the body
  (except hair) is a faul.

 16.3 A player may enter the opponent's court only after the ball is
 out of play [Rule 12.2]. A player may enter into the opponent's free
 zone provided this does not interfere with the opponent's play.

and, more importantly:

 16.5 Player's Faults at the Net
 The following faults result in a loss of rally:  A player:

 16.5.1 touches the ball or an opponent in the opponent's space before
        or during the attack-hit [Rules 16.2.1, 16.3.1, 19.3],
 16.5.2 penetrates into teh opponent's space under the net interfering
        with the opponent's play [Rule 16.3.1],
 16.5.3 penetrates into the opponent's court [Rule 16.3.2].
        or
 16.5.4 touches the net [Rule 16.4.1].

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."