RSV FAQ (was: Rules - National Federation)

tshull@worldnet.att.net writes:

> In the FAQs specifically a question about under hand serving, the rules
> are referring to USVA rules.  However, it is legal to hit right off the
> hand in the National Federation of State High School Association Rules
> book.  These rules are widely used by High school associations through
> out the nation. In National Federation rules, the service area is also
> larger, a recent change that I am not fond of. Readers should be aware
> that rules vary from association to association and need to refer to the
> correct rule book for their area and association affiliation.

I agree that readers should be aware of which rules their using and
the differences among various ruling bodies.  About 50% of rules
questions on this forum have answers that differ among USAV indoor,
USAV outdoor, FIVB, FIVB Beach, AVP, NAGWS, and NFHSA.

The issue with the FAQ (IMO) is not that it's specific to USAV rules
so much as it's quite out of date, especially considering the major
rule changes that have occurred in the past 2 years.

I've been pestering Tom Jack every couple of weeks for some time about
this, but when he's doing such a fantastic job of keeping Volleyball
Worldwide going, it's hard to truly complain.  :)

I have repeatedly offered to take over maintenance the rules section
of the FAQ for him, but my offer falls upon deaf ears.  Tom?  Oh Tom?
I'll even update the USAV rules references to 1997-98 rules.  :)

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."