Re: Any shoe recommendations?

lhartm1@umbc.edu (L. Jason Hartman) writes:

> My current pair of Nikes are just about dead so I'm looking for some
> new shoes which will also be my vball shoes.  I play about 4 hours
> per week in a gym.  My ankles/shins/knees have been a little sore lately
> from all of the jumping - I've been making an effort to spike more and
> jump up for the blocks etc.
>
> Do any shoes have more padding and/or support than others?  Should
> I get high-tops to help out my ankles?

Check out the new Nike Air Execute mid and low.  I just replaced my
aging and crushed Air Dig/ Air Bohemian pairs with the Execute and was
not disappointed.  The forefoot and heel air bladders are so springy
and cushy that you have this uncontrollable urge to hop around the
store with them on.

I've found that Nikes have more cushion and support than all other
vball shoes I've tried.  The ASICS are incredibly flat, and hard
lacking arch support or heel cushioning (unless models released in the
past 2 years have addressed this).

As for ankle support, many will tell you that high tops do more to
restrict your movement than they do to help protect your ankles.
You'd be better off with a low-cut shoe with a good ankle brace like
the Active Ankle if you're worried about this.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."