Re: Outdoor rule question [penetration under the net/ interference]

"Nick Barbadoro" <bamboo4u@email.msn.com> writes:

> In doubles, if the ball comes from side A and completely passes over
> the net to side B, can side A still make a play for the ball,
> assuming of course there is still a hit left? If so, what if a
> player on side B is waiting, in a crouched position below the net to
> set the ball, is it still legal? I hope I've described the situation
> clearly.

I think you have described it pretty clearly.   I'm not entirely sure
what player B is doing in this situation though.

Yes, player A can still make a play on the ball.

If player B was intentionally interfering with player A's attempt to
play the ball on B court, player B would be at fault per 15.2.1.2
below.

Here are the applicable rules to this situation.

To get your copy which includes both indoor and beach/outdoor
rulesets, call Volleyball Informational Products at
1-800-275-8782. Cost is just $6.95 (as of 6/98) and the proceeds
benefit our Olympic volleyball teams.

1998 USAV Beach rules
15.1   Reaching beyond the net
15.1.3 Within the limits of the three team contacts, a player may
       contact a ball that has crossed the net below the net in order
       to direct the ball to a teammate, as long as the ball has not
       been contacted by the opponents.  The recovered ball must cross
       the net below the net.

15.2   Penetration into the opponent's playing area and space
15.2.1 Players may cross the center line below the net or outside the
       poles, either before, during or after a legal play of the ball,
       provided this does not interfere with the opponent's play.
       Incidental contact with an opponent is ignored, unless usch
       contact interferes with the opponent's opportunity to play the
       ball.
15.2.1.1 If the player crosses the center line and interferes with an
         opponent during play [Rule 12.2.2], it is a fault.
15.2.1.2 While opposing players are not required to avoid the ball or
         the player, they cannot intentionally interfere with any
         legal attempt to play the ball on their court.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."