Re: Questions on Vball for Beginer

Jeff Seldon <jseldon@efn.org> writes:

> Greetings. I am a 42 year old new to volleyball and was
> wondering about the following:
>
> Shoes - What are some good vball shoes to use for indoor
> play on wood floors?

You may have to do some hunting to find volleyball-specific shoes
locally, but it's worth the hunt.  Volleyball shoes will have gum
rubber soles for the best traction, and a fair amount of cushioning to
absorb the shock of landing.

 I second the Nike endorsement.  For more info on equipment I like,
 see here:

        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/equipment/

> Books, videos - Good books and videos for a beginner.

Pass Set Crush is the stuff, as a chorus of others have said.

> Any other tips for beginners?

Always play with people better than you if at all possible.  It's the
only way to improve.   Get involved with a USA Volleyball team or club
that practices regularly.  That's enormously beneficial in comparison
to just playing a league match once a week.

If there's a volleyball class at a community college, or park and rec
department, take it.

If Pat Powers clinic comes to your town...go.  :-)

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."