Re: New FAQ: In or Out? Ball Compression and the Sideline

John Hunley <john@jrh.com> writes:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but we've already established in the Lines
> thread that this can only work when line judges are working as they do at
> the international level:  four line judges 2-4m off the court, squatting
> down to look at the lines from essentially floor level.
>
> In any other case, it is frequently necessary to make assumptions and call
> something more than what you actually saw.  If you don't, then you'll have
> to call every ball "out" that hits anywhere near the line judge, because
> it's impossible to see the contact when the ball is blocking your view.
>
> Bottom line, the answer *has* to be more than just "call only what you
> see."

Agreed.

The reason that this is dragging on is that we've got two issues here.

The first is "what's the rule interpretation and how would we call a
play if we had super-slow-motion replay of all angles of a ball
contacting a line.  Bottom line, if any part of the ball actually
contacted the line, it's in.  This interpretation is a cut and dry
issue, and is addressed in the FAQ addition.

The second issue is how should a line judge apply this rule in
practice when he doesn't have the benefit of split-second stop-motion
vision, and doesn't always have a direct line of sight to the area of
the floor where the leather of the ball is contacting.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."