Re: Outdoor Volleyball Weight

"John Laughrey" <jpl2@sound.net> writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a difference in the regulation weight between
> an indoor and outdoor volleyball?
>
> I have heard it been said that an outdoor ball should weigh a little bit
> more to counter the effects of the wind, but I don't think that this is
> mandatory for the specifications of an outdoor ball.

Good question.

By the rule book ( http://usavolleyball.org/pub/rule_book.htm ), an
outdoor ball is 260-280 grams, and an indoor ball's specs are the same
260-280 grams.

In practice however, I've found that outdoor leather volleyballs are
always heavier than their indoor counterparts after a few uses.  The
outdoor balls soak up moisture.  There's quite a difference in weight
between a new and used Spalding Top-Flite 18 (or Wilson AVP Gold for
that matter).

As a player, I prefer an outdoor ball that's heavier than its indoor
counterpart.  On of the reasons Tachikara can't seem to sell any of
their outdoor balls is that they're too light.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."