Re: receiving a serve

Kevin Lentin <kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au> writes:
> Todd <tdh@vbref.org> wrote:
>
> > Under USAV _indoor_ rules, you can also receive a first team contact
> > with a set.  Furthermore, it would even be legal to double contact
> > such a set (i.e. comes out spinning horribly).
>
> *Shiver* Why the one-to-one link between spin and doubles? Or do USAV rules
> actually use spin as a determinent?

LOL.  As soon as I try to dumb down the discussion (from my original
post on the thread) for the masses, and sure enough I catch the
attention of a national referee.  :-)

Not to fear Kevin, there is no such link between spin and multiple
contacts in the USAV beach (or indoor) rules.  I tried to stop short
of making that direct two-way implication, but I must have come close
enough to make you shudder.  They say explicitly:

USAV Beach 1998-99
13.4.4 A contact of the ball using the fingers of one or two hand to
       direct the ball toward a teammate is a set.  A player may set
       the ball in any direction toward his/her team's court.
13.4.4.1 Rotation of a set ball may indicate a held ball or multiple
         contacts during the set but in itself is not a fault.

Best Regards,
USAV Jr. National Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."