Re: Official pulling out rulebook

grousin@aol.com (Grousin) writes:

> Would it ever be appropriate to actually pull out a rule book during a
> match if something out of the ordinary happens and neither official is
> exactly sure what the ruling should be?
> I've never done this, but there have been one or two occasions when I
> couldn't exactly remember the rule to a tee and wished I could just take a
> quick peek at the book.  Usually I just go with my gut instinct and
> everything turns out OK.

When in doubt, I would agree that you should always check the book if
you are unsure, regardless of the game situation.  Any "face" you
would save by _appearing_ to have perfect knowledge of the rules by
not consulting the book would be miniscule in comparison to the
embarassment of blowing the call and finding it out later after
protest.

As a player also, I'd rather have an unsure ref who makes the right
call than a cocky one who makes a misinformed one.  Of source, the fun
of lodging a protest against the latter sort can be enjoyable too!

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."