Re: Substituting for the server?

"David R. Robison" <DRobison@vegas.infi.net> writes:

> Is it leagle to substitue a player in the service position?  Also, can
> anyone point me to where this rule is documented?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Corinne Robison

Under USAV rules this is perfectly legal.

As for an explicit place in the rule book where is says "you can
substitute for the server," you won't find it.  It is legal though,
via the absence of any rule which restricts substitutions based on the
replaced player's current position in the rotation.  See, rule 11
"Sustitution of Players"

In the scorekeeping example, however, you will find an instance of
this to make you feel better.  See Page 130 of the 1996-97 indoor USAV
Rulebook.  The Gold coach uses a 6th team substitution to replace #2
with #9 (S9/2 R).  #9 immediately serves.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."