Re: penetration under net, contact with ball (was: Beach rules question)

Todd <tdh@vbref.org> writes:
>"J Parrish" <jparrish@iaonline.com> writes:
>> Ok I have been playing on the beach for about 5 five years now and
>> this one's new to me.  While playing in my men's sand doubles
>> league I dug a ball that sailed high and appeared to be coming
>> down right on top of the net.  My partner jump to make a played on
>> the ball when he realized that the ball had carried over the net a
>> few inches so he laid off and let the ball drop.  When my partner
>> landed he stepped under the net to keep his balance, and the ball
>> hit him in the foot.  Interference right?  Well that's the call

[snip]

> This situation is more interesting than I first thought.  It may be
> one for the outdoor rules interpreter.  While I strongly believe the
> intent of the beach rules supports the legality of this contact, the
> letter of USAV Beach 15.1.5 might suggest otherwise.
[snip]

The USAV Beach rules interpreter responds:

_From: Sue Lemaire
Subject: Re:  penetration under net, contact with ball (was: Beach rules question)
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 10:35:20 EDT

Todd,

Thank you all for chewing this over. The blocker contact would be
legal as with indoors as the opponent was not able to make a play on
the ball. We will look at the wording of rule 15.1.5 and possibly add
a situation to the case book.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."