Re: Yellow Card now costs a point

From: Todd <tdh@vbref.org>
Subject: Re: Yellow Card now costs a point
Newsgroups: rec.sport.volleyball
Date: 18 Feb 1999 20:01:28 -0600

Drew Kalapach <drewk@futurefone.com> writes:
> Kevin Lentin wrote:
> > ryan_james@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > > The new FIVB rules are out, and a Yellow Card is no longer a
> > > warning, but will cost you a point. A Red Card means your out
> > > for the game, and A Red and Yellow means your out for the match.
>
> Thank God this isn't hockey..... They would never finish a game for
> lack of players on both sides....

Uh oh, we've hit Drew's rules change nerve.  ;-)

Not to fear...it appears to be a mere procedural change to the FIVB
rules.  The penalties for the infractions have remained the same, just
the color of the cards is different.  [Note to USA folk...this doesn't
apply to us...yet]

In the new FIVB (international) rules:

    Unsportsmanlike conduct still receives no penalty, just a verbal
    or hand signal warning according to the FIVB rules.  The change is
    that a yellow card is no longer shown for this.

    Rude conduct, or repeated unsportsmanlike conduct still hit the
    team with a loss of rally.  They used to show red, now they
    yellow.

    Offensive conduct or repeated rude conduct still gets you booted
    from the game.  They used to show yellow/red together, now they
    show red.

    Aggressive conduct or repeated offensive conduct still gets you
    booted from the match.  They used to show yellow/red apart, now
    they show yellow/red together.

The only salient differnce for USAV players I can find in the new rule
is that the penalty for repetition of unsportsmanlike conduct now has
a match scope rather than a game scope.

That is, in the current USAV rules, you get be unsportsmanlike once
each game, and keep getting warned (no penalty).  If the new FIVB rule
gets adopted here, it would hit your team with a loss of rally on the
2nd occurrence of unsportmanlike conduct, even if it's not in the same
game.  As Rainer astutely pointed out, this is no change to the FIVB
rules (I ASSumed current USAV rules followed FIVB on this point).
This is at best, a fine detail.

I'm curious about the motivation behind this change.  Did the FIVB
make some decision to get into a more soccer-like card definition, or
was there a need to put teeth into a yellow card?

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."